As I was driving home tonight, I noticed a license plate: "We R One". It was an old plate, nothing new but something that was never more true than today.
At 11:30 am this morning, while driving INTO work, I thought about what was our station going to do help out our community. Talking sports just seemed.....odd. Yet, I thought we had an unique opportunity to use our connections to help those families who are dealing with what happened on Wednesday.
What we came up with was an auction to raise money. So beginning on Monday, the listeners of Big Sports 590 will be able to bid on a variety of donated items online off BigSports590.com (thanks to Proxibid.com of Omaha for stepping up to run this thing for us). There is talk of a live auction late in the week but that's nothing yet in stone.
I'm truly blown away at how fast this has all come together. At noon, I told my boss of the idea. By 5 pm we had the list below and it's only going to get bigger. Remember 100% of the money will go to the Memorial Fund for the families of this tragedy:
1. Autographed 49er Jay Moore football
2. Autographed Sixer Kyle Korver Jersey AND basketball
3. Autographed Yankee Joba Chamberlain baseball
4. Autographed Roger Craig 49er jersey
5. UNO Hockey Season tickets for 2008
6. UNO tickets to Miami of Ohio and Ohio St
7. Creighton Season tickets for '08 Baseball at Rosenblatt and 2008-2009 Basketball
8. Framed Print of the "White out for Wichita"
9. Autographed Nate Funk Creighton jersey
10. 2 Lower Bowl tickets for Van Halen at the Qwest provided by Ticket Express
11. 2 Lower Bowl tickets to Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban provided by Ticket Express
12. Private Food and Wine Tasting at Urban Wine Company for 10 in their barrell room
13. Autographed Tom Osborne 24x35 Husker print (only 1000 exist)
14. 2 tickets to Nebraska vs. Oregon basketball
15. Hat signed by all 3 Husker Heisman trophy winners
16. 3 tickets to 2 Nebraska volleyball games next year
17. Autographed Danny Woodhead Chadron St. jersey
18. 2 Tickets to see Rock and Raquets at the Qwest
19. Dinner for 2 at Omaha Prime, 2 Tickets to Manheim Steamroller and prize pack
20. Free DJ for a night for your event
21. VIP night at Sarie's Lounge of Omaha
22. EMask will outfit your entire football team
23. Schwin Bike donated by Play it Again Sports and 20 rounds at Scores Bowling
24. Husker and Bluejay Rugs
25. Golf w/Matt Perrault and 3 of your friends at Quarry Oaks
26. Bluejay Day with me which includes: Pregame with me at Farrell's. Sit with me on press row for the game vs. Ill. St. You will then get to be on the air with me for 30 min on the post game
27. TX Motor Speedway- 2 Tickets for June IRL, Truck Race. Start/Finish Line Seats and infield parking
28. 2 Tickets to the Chiefs vs. Titans game provided by Red Zone Tickets w Pregame Sideline Passes with Blimpie Subs for the road down
29. 2 Tickets for Creighton vs. Wichita St. provided Tickets in Time
30. Runza Combo Meal a Week for a Year
31. Golf at Shadow Ridge with Matt Perrault and 3 of your friends
32. (2) Private 1 hour lessons (player must be in the 8th grade or BELOW) with Bluejay basketball Coach Brian Fish
33. You and 3 of your friends will golf at Dismal River in Western NE! Plus stay in one of their cabins, then play golf again the next day
34. 2 lower Bowl tickets to see Celine Dion at the Qwest provided by Red Zone Tickets
And that's just the START!!!! If you have donated something, please drop it off at the station on Monday morning at 72nd and Ames. Thank you to everyone who donated and tune into the Big Show on Monday for full details on how you can bid to give money to the Memorial Fund Auction.
Whatever you can bid will be very much appreciated!