Monday, June 30, 2008

Feeling Lucky....

There are certain weeks in my life that tend to produce moments that really should make me stop and think about how lucky I really am. I had the same feeling as I went to Game 4 of the World Series this past October, got on the field with my team to celebrate and then in April went to the Masters. In the past however, I've made the mistake of pushing past the smaller moments. You know what I'm talking about - we all rush through life - looking for the next best thing instead of what is sitting in front of us. As a Type A personality, I tend to skip over special happenings as just run of the mill and treat them as ordinary - the next step in life. I do it a lot in relationships and is probably a reason why at 31 - I've never been married. Yet, I'm growing....and learning how to stop and smell the roses.

This is a week where I have stop and soak it all in. Sunday night at the Qwest Center was magical. Watching Michael Phelps break the world record in the 400 IM was great....but the atmosphere surrounding it was even better. I was so proud of Omaha for pouring out the support and congratulations that were in order...and for the other American and World Records that were set that night.

Tonight (Monday) I got a chance to sneak preview the Will Smith movie "Hancock". Not a bad flick - nothing mind blowing but not bad. We had a chance to welcome in a full house to the theatre to watch a free movie that doesn't come out until tomorrow. Small thing I know - but I got to take a buddy of mine and it's the small things that I'm trying to appreciate more.

Tuesday Night - I get to go back to the Swim Trials to watch Phelps and Co. go after it again.

Wednesday Night - I have been a huge fan of the band 311 since I first came across "Music" in college. I have seen them 6 times - every time on the East Coast. The first time I ever heard the name "Omaha" was from the Counting Crows but the first time anyone made it sound cool was from 311. When I was interviewed on the phone for my job I was asked "What do you know about Omaha?"....."311" I answered. And now, I get to see the hometown boys in their hometown. I couldn't be more pumped!

Thursday Night - I fly to New York City to see my college friend who I haven't seen in 5 years. Not bad after doing my show - to jump a plane and be in Manhattan by 11 pm eastern.

Friday - RED SOX VS. YANKEES on the 4th of July!! Does it get any better than a day game in the stadium that hosted the greatest comeback in sports history??!!! The best rivarly in sports...and I get to say goodbye to the Stadium with my boys on the field.

Friday Night - Fireworks in NYC. Never seen them....seen Boston, Washington DC, Birmingham...never NYC. Should be fun..

Saturday - Fly home to see my family including my 8 year old sister who is counting down the days til I land........

Now that is a week worth being thankful for....and just think - DropKick Murphy's on the 16th in Omaha!! At 31 - after Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics titles - 6 in the last 9 years - I couldn't ask for much more than a week like this for myself.....

5 comments:

JeffTweedyistheballs said...

Great. Maybe now you can apologize to a certain radio host for calling him a liar. Go LaVista Royals.

Matt Perrault said...

Huh?

Steve said...

I'll be at the 311 concert too. Looking forward to a great July!

Unknown said...

glad you got this off your chest Matt, and on Monday afternoon too. Hopefully we can get the Sports put back into Big Sports 590 soon!

SC Cy said...

Stay away storms...stay away! 311 and Snoop tonight!